Thursday, June 16, 2022

From the Journal of one Wigmar Heck, pt 46 (Parravon, Legend of the Air Crystal)

 


21 Vorgeheim, 2449, City of Parravon

I've made myself comfortable in my new quarters in Castle Parravon. It's a pleasant enough town now that the siege has been temporarily lifted. About twice the size of Übersreik, about the same as Bögenhafen. It's an old city, dating back to before there was a Bretonnia.

I've been introduced to the most important members of the court. Duke Escarot II of Parravon is an intense man of middling years. Like all Bretonnian nobles he's born and bred to fight, but I dare say the man's more at home at court than in the saddle. Military matters he leaves to Marquise de Salle, a tall, swarthy fellow who seems more Tilean than Bretonnia.

I also have a young "Baron" (technically heir to a baron) by the name of le Trois attending me. Pretty sure he's a spy. Old master Fabien who make sure my needs are met is also a spy, I'm sure. Spies everywhere: Val Adrie, the elf diplomat (spy) from Athel Loren. Him I've convinced Thesalva is a spy from Ulthuan... hilarious.

Military matters

The Parravonians have clashed repeatedly with the orks, losing knights and foot soldiers both in the process. Maybe two hundred knights remain, many of them freshly knighted squires. Then city can muster about 2000 able-bodied warriors, 500 of them archers.

Arrayed against them are 6000 or more orks, possibly beastmen as well. We can see bands moving through the countryside to the north, but I've urged against any more sallies until we know where the main body of orks is.

I've sent Ulfberth to get the 2nd battalion. It should be here in two weeks or less. The Duke, however, seems content to wait for relief. Riders have been sent to Quenelles and an army should be on its way even as I write this. Or so they tell me. In war, things are not certain. Until I see Bretonnian banners arriving I will assume the worst.

Magical matters

Anyway. I was invited to the Duke's garden party earlier today. There I met a most intriguing lady hiding in the gardens. Yes, yes they are all very intriguing, I admit. But this one was especially so. In more ways than one.

Mademoiselle Francesca (cousin to the Duke and a spinster) isn't a young woman. In fact, she's of middle age (though I find that rather hard to believe based on her looks alone), twin sister to Antigone, mother of my Laetitia!

She also knows something of magic, professing to have "sensed" the presence of Zul. That's a very special gift - if true. Nacht has told me such things aren't easy at all. So maybe she's a wizard? Do Bretonnia even have any wizards? Do they have like a school of magic like in Altdorf?

Crystal of Air

The air crystal definitely came through Parravon long ago. Like really long ago. They have these ancient legends of dwarfs (presumably from Karak Azgaraz) handing a crystal (probably the air crystal) over to the elves. Who then didn't ship it to Ulthuan after all, but handed it over to some humans tribesmen. Reminds me of a game of tag... last one to have it loses...

And then the crystal vanishes from living memory except as ancient legends. But you can be sure that's why Zula (and the orks) are here. They are following the trail.

No comments:

Post a Comment